Saturday, July 3, 2010

A CAMPER'S POEM



It's not what I'm dyin of

it's what I'm livin with......


Life....


Before I begin I will say my name.

My name is Yolanda Marie Williams.


I'm 17

Born with HIV.


I look in the mirror and ask myself, how long can I hide this secret?

Yet, it's nobody business.


But I feel uncomfortable not sharing my message.

Life is alot of pain.

People judge you by what you say do or even look like.


But before I say I'm infected, could you tell?


Never in your wildest dreams, do you think it can't happen to you.


But in reality it doesn't matter it's trying to destroy you.

I'm not upset because I have this powerful thing taking over my body.

I'm not upset that my birth mother gave it to me.

But what I am is happy.


Because I use every bit of education and do the opposite of the negativity.

Anything is possible, you just have two live up two the consequences.


When I was born they told me I wasn't gonna live pass three.

Well, guess what I'm here today fighting this disease.


When people here HIV/AIDS

They think this is it.

Others often leave you only because they fear of catching it.


I laugh when I hear people talk about it because if you notice there are

almost 10million infected.


And yet their lived ones know about it.

It's nothing you can cure yet.


But there is treatment. My treatment isn't only the medicine, it's the

people who've been there through thick and thin.


I 've been through millions of medicine.

Seem not to do much.


I've been callled the mistery child.

Everytime I'm in pain they can't figure it out.


I call myself the gifted child.

Because at the right time my blessings come.


I've gotten sick because of a dose of

medicine.

I know I'm strong.

I know my weakness and my strengths.


I don't know how to end this poem.

But I will leave telling you this,


It's not what I'm dying of

It's what living with it.


Writtn by: Yolanda Williams (camper)

4/20/10 (11:57) PM

No comments:

Post a Comment